This is a full time position with a pay range of $24.50-26.50 per hour.
The Staff Accountant works closely with the Director of Finance and the other Accounting Staff. The Accountant is responsible for ensuring maintenance of and adherence to all agency Accounting Policies and Procedures. S/he performs complex accounting tasks in order to properly reflect the financial position of the agency and for the development of revenue and expense projections. The Accountant is responsible for the timely gathering and preparation of information necessary for management reporting, planning, analysis and decision making. The Staff Accountant performs accounting and clerical tasks related to the efficient maintenance and processing of accounts payable transactions, purchasing and Inventory. S/he works closely with the agencies outside auditors in the preparation of information essential to the completion of the annual audit process.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Maintain agency fiscal records via Automated Fund Accounting System
- Enter and post transactions to proper funds and accounts
- Monitor and analyze fund account activity versus budget, prepare recommendations for Sr Management/Program Managers and meet monthly to review
- Generate on an as-needed basis custom reports utilizing the Automated Fund Accounting System – currently QuickBooks Nonprofit Premier.
- Advise management about issues such as resource utilization, tax strategies, and the assumptions underlying budget forecasts
- Match and research invoices and purchases
- Input and manage Accounts Payable, Purchases and Inventory
- Monthly reconciliation of Petty Cash, Bus Pass, Gift Card and Laundry Quarter inventory
- Monthly reconciliation of Employee Benefits to invoices and deduction registers for Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance.
- Perform check runs on a weekly basis and process emergency checks when needed
- Manage vendor W-9 forms and prepare annual 1099 forms
- Assist with general ledger duties
- Manage master files and electronic filing systems
- Process and deposit all cash receipts into agency bank accounts daily.
- Timely preparation and submission of vouchers to appropriate funders to facilitate and ensure stable cash flow for the agency and the collection of timely payments.
- Develop off – line reports as required to support agency management
- Assist the Director of Finance with budget projections and development, amendments and submissions as required
- Ensure agency compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Act as liaison to agency vendors, auditors and funders’ contract management personnel
- Perform other work as assigned by the Director of Finance
Knowledge and demonstrated competencies in accounting policies and procedures including maintenance of general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and cash flow management. Proven project management and budget development skills. Skills in computer accounting applications and demonstrated ability to use and add value to accounting and spreadsheet software. Ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities within given time-lines. Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team. Must have access to a vehicle and possess a valid Driver’s license with a driving record acceptable to agency insurance carrier. In addition, must have the following automobile insurance: $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident Bodily Injury and $50,000 Property Damage.
The Center delivers programs and services to youth and families across Monroe County who represent many racial, cultural and geographic groups. The Center ensures understanding and values differences in people of diverse cultures, ethnic origins, sexual orientations, disabilities and beliefs. All staff are required to attend cultural competency workshops and trainings and to continually enhance their own understanding of cultural diversity. The Center Performance Appraisal, administered annually, provides an opportunity for staff to evaluate how they are integrating culturally competent practices into everyday work.
Candidates must be able to operate computer and peripherals several hours per day.
Associate’s degree in Accounting or related field with two (2) years experience in accounting or related field preferred.
COMPUTER SKILLS RECOMMENDED:
Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access)- Intermediate
Microsoft Excel- Advanced
The Center for Youth provides equal opportunities for employment.