The pay range for this position is $18-20.00 per hour.
The Outreach and Youth Engagement Specialist engages runaway, homeless and street youth (RHY) with the goal of increasing their access to community resources designed to address the medical, mental health, financial, emergency shelter and other basic living and safety needs of disconnected youth. This position will assist runaway, homeless and street youth in crisis intervention, problem solving, action planning and skill building, in order to address immediate life and safety issues, reduce the risk of sexual exploitation and abuse, and reduce or prevent incidents of homelessness. This position will also recruit, train, and support RHY for The Center’s Speakers Bureau and Youth Advisory Board.
Outreach Specialists will work “non-traditional” hours and are required to work several evenings per week. This is a full-time position at 35 hours per week. Valid NY State driver’s license required.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
• Crisis Intervention
• Screening and Assessment
• Individual Counseling & Case Management
• Community Outreach to locations where youth are known to congregate
• Implement and staff the Speakers Bureau and Youth Advisory Board
• Maintain client confidentiality, consistent with Center policies
• Referral readiness and referral services
• Accurate and timely case and program record keeping
• Effectively manage time to meet responsibilities
• Engage youth to offer services and referrals
• Participation in supervision, staff meetings and trainings
• Other duties as assigned
• Adhere to ethical conduct
• Demonstrate professionalism i.e., timely, dependable, responsible, flexible
• Be non-judgmental and respectful
• Model principles of inclusion and tolerance
• Be youth centered and positive
• Be family friendly
• Establish effective working relationships with supervisor and co-workers
• Develop positive relationships with all key stakeholders
• Have strong literacy skills (i.e., reading, writing, comprehension)
• Have excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
• Conduct research and apply best-practices and evaluation methods
• Effectively promote knowledge and skill development and positive behaviors
• Provide leadership and/or work independently as requested
Candidate must possess significant knowledge of –
• Adolescent development including: positive youth development, asset development, risk reduction and protective factors
• Youth serving systems
• Community resources
• Client advocacy
The Center delivers services to youth and families from many racial, ethnic, cultural, social and life style groups. We value differences in people and strive to understand diverse cultures, ethnic origins, sexual orientations, abilities and beliefs. To this end, all staff are required to attend professional development trainings and to continually enhance their understanding of cultural diversity.
Staff are expected to respect and honor cultural and human diversity. The annual Performance Appraisal provides an opportunity for staff to evaluate how they are integrating culturally competent practices into their everyday work.
A Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred and (1) one year experience or an equivalent combination of education, employment and life experience.
In addition to the above, it is mandatory that candidates meet the following criteria prior to hire:
• Authorization for the agency to obtain driving record information
• Proof of a satisfactory physical exam within the last 12 months including a PPD and annually thereafter.
• A valid driver’s license, regular access to a motor vehicle and automobile insurance at the level of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident Bodily Injury and $50,000 Property Damage
• Access to a telephone
• Availability and flexibility to work evenings and summer weekends.
Candidates must be able to be autonomously mobile in order to provide the required services.
COMPUTER SKILLS RECOMMENDED:
Microsoft Office- Advanced
Internet Explorer- Advanced
The Center for Youth provides equal opportunities for employment.