PLEASE NOTE: This is a full-time position with a pay rate of $18.00 per hour. Flexible availability required.
Owen’s House provides a safe, nurturing environment for children from birth to age 14 whose families are in crisis. Our goal is to keep siblings together during a crisis. For up to 72 hours, children can live at the nursery, cared for by our trained staff. The goals are two-fold: first and most important, to provide temporary care for children at risk of abuse and neglect. We provide support to families and caregivers, so they have a place to turn before abuse occurs. We work to provide the necessary referrals to get families the help they need.
- Assist Program Manager in community outreach and awareness about Owen’s House services
- Provide safe and engaging child care
- Provide assistance and support to the program’s volunteers
- Recognize, document and take appropriate action in the case of suspected abuse, illness or accident
- Maintain a clean, organized, appealing environment that promotes comfort and security
- Maintain clean materials and equipment
- Ensure that each child receives nutritious meals, meeting their daily requirement
- Partnering with FoodLink to order food for the program
- Maintain fair and orderly control, with constant supervision of children
- Help children learn through setting limits
- Work with other child care providers, volunteers and parents to best meet the needs of the children in our care
- Be professional when consulting with parents, provider and family members’ maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- Record timely, complete, legible documentation of child’s observed behaviors
- Represent the program in a positive and professional manner to all areas
- Other duties as assigned
- Adhere to ethical conduct
- Demonstrate professionalism i.e., timely, dependable, responsible, flexible
- Be non-judgmental and respectful
- Model principles of inclusion and tolerance
- Be youth centered and positive
- Be family friendly
- Establish effective working relationships with supervisor and co-workers
- Develop positive relationships with all key stakeholders
- Have strong literacy skills (i.e., reading, writing, comprehension)
- Have excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Conduct research and apply best-practices and evaluation methods
- Effectively promote knowledge and skill development and positive behaviors
- Provide leadership and/or work independently as requested
- Comply with NYS Child Care Provider and NY State OCFS regulations
The Crisis Nursery is a three‑story residence and candidates must be autonomously mobile and able to work anywhere within the facility, as well as lift and carry children. Candidates must be able to participate in the maintenance of the facility and grounds and be able to operate agency vehicles.
The Center delivers services to youth and families from many racial, ethnic, cultural, social and life style groups. We value differences in people and strive to understand diverse cultures, ethnic origins, sexual orientations, abilities and beliefs. To this end, all staff are required to attend professional development trainings and to continually enhance their understanding of cultural diversity.
Staff are expected to respect and honor cultural and human diversity. The annual Performance Appraisal provides an opportunity for staff to evaluate how they are integrating culturally competent practices into their everyday work.
A minimum of a high school diploma, at least 2 years of experience in paid or unpaid childcare and be at least 18 years old.
In addition to the above, it is mandatory that candidates meet the following criteria prior to hire:
- Authorization for the agency to obtain driving record information
- Proof of a satisfactory physical exam within the last 12 months including a PPD and annually thereafter.
- A valid driver’s license, regular access to a motor vehicle
- Automobile insurance at the level of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident Bodily Injury and $50,000 Property Damage
- Access to a telephone
Candidates must be able to be autonomously mobile in order to provide the required services.
COMPUTER SKILLS RECOMMENDED:
Microsoft Office- Basic
Internet Explorer- Basic
The Center for Youth provides equal opportunities for employment.