The Monroe County Safe Harbour Advocate provides intensive case management and advocacy for commercially sexually exploited (CSE) youth in order to access services, including medical, mental health, financial, emergency shelter and other basic living and safety needs. This position will assist CSE youth in crisis intervention, problem solving, action planning and skill building in order to address immediate life and safety issues, reduce the risk of continued sexual exploitation and abuse. The Monroe County Safe Harbour Advocate will provide outreach to other agencies and community partners across Monroe County in order to identify CSE and coordinate immediate access to needed services and supports. Advocates will generally work Monday-Friday 9-5pm, but may work “non-traditional” hours and may be required to work several evenings per week and some weekends.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Crisis Intervention
- Case Management & youth advocacy
- Individual Counseling
- Community Outreach to youth-serving agencies
- Maintain client confidentiality, consistent with Center policies
- Referral readiness and referral services
- After-hours response, assessment and intake of youth in need
- Accurate and timely case and program record keeping
- Representation of the agency on community committees, coalitions, etc., as assigned
- Effectively manage time to meet responsibilities
- Engage youth to offer services and referrals
- Participation in supervision, staff meetings and trainings
- Transportation of Clients, when required and consistent with agency policies*
- Other duties as assigned
- Adhere to ethical conduct
- Demonstrate professionalism i.e., timely, dependable, responsible, flexible
- Be non-judgmental and respectful
- Model principles of inclusion and tolerance
- Be youth centered and positive
- Be family friendly
- Establish effective working relationships with supervisor and co-workers /
- Develop positive relationships with all key stakeholders
- Have strong literacy skills (i.e., reading, writing, comprehension)
- Have excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Conduct research and apply best-practices and evaluation methods
- Effectively promote knowledge and skill development and positive behaviors
- Provide leadership and/or work independently as requested
Candidate must possess significant knowledge of:
- adolescent development including: positive youth development, asset development, risk reduction and protective factors
- youth serving systems
- community resources
- client advocacy
The Center delivers services to youth and families from many racial, ethnic, cultural, social and life style groups. We value differences in people and strive to understand diverse cultures, ethnic origins, sexual orientations, abilities and beliefs. To this end, all staff are required to attend professional development trainings and to continually enhance their understanding of cultural diversity.
Staff are expected to respect and honor cultural and human diversity. The annual Performance Appraisal provides an opportunity for staff to evaluate how they are integrating culturally competent practices into their everyday work.
A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in human services, education or a related field; and (2) two years of experience with navigating systems and crisis case management, or an equivalent combination of education, employment and life experience. A Master’s degree is preferred.
In addition to the above, it is mandatory that candidates meet the following criteria prior to hire:
- Completion of State Central Registry Clearance form*
- Authorization for agency to complete criminal background check
- Authorization for the agency to obtain driving record information
- Proof of a satisfactory physical exam within the last 12 months including a PPD and annually thereafter.
- Completion of fingerprinting process and clearance via NYS Education Department
- A valid driver’s license
- Regular access to a motor vehicle
- Automobile insurance at the level of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident Bodily Injury and $50,000 Property Damage
- Access to a telephone
*Note: It is also mandatory that new employees be cleared by the NYS Central Register prior to unsupervised interaction with clients.
Candidates must be able to be autonomously mobile in order to provide the required services.
COMPUTER SKILLS RECOMMENDED
Microsoft Office – Advanced
Pay Rate – $16.00 – $19.00 per hour
The Center for Youth provides equal opportunities for employment.