IMPORTANT: In the email subject line, please refer to job title
OVERVIEW: This 12-month position is part of School-Based Programs Department. The CFT is responsible for providing counseling (individual and family) to students and their families at identified elementary sites. S/he also provides crisis response, consultation and information and referral services. S/he is responsible for conducting comprehensive assessments that identify the immediate and longer term needs of the students referred. Based upon this assessment, a service plan is created that includes the immediate direct services to be provided as well as referrals to other resources in the school and the community. The CFT works closely with the School Social Worker who generates the referrals and integrates into the school community by participating in various school meetings and committees, as appropriate.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Crisis Response and
- Consultation maintains professional relationship with faculty and staff.
- Child and Family Counseling
- Information Dissemination. Referrals and Referral Readiness Support
- Case and program record keeping
- Psycho-educational Group Facilitation
- Other duties as assigned
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Youth friendly – Ability to establish/maintain positive working relationships with youth
- Knowledge of child and adolescent development and issues
- Knowledge of child and family counseling techniques
- Crisis intervention/response
- Group facilitation
- Effective time management
- Holistic assessment and triage
- Presentation and platform skills and adults
- Adhere to ethical conduct
- Demonstrate professionalism i.e., timely, dependable, responsible, flexible
- Be non-judgmental and respectful
- Model principles of inclusion and tolerance
- Be youth centered and positive
- Be family friendly
- Establish effective working relationships with supervisor and co-workers
- Develop positive relationships with all key stakeholders
- Have strong literacy skills (i.e., reading, writing, comprehension)
- Have excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Conduct research and apply best-practices and evaluation methods
- Effectively promote knowledge and skill development and positive behaviors
- Provide leadership and/or work independently as requested
Candidate must possess significant knowledge of:
- Child and adolescent development including: positive youth development, asset development, risk reduction and protective factors
- Youth serving systems
- Community resources
- Client advocacy
The Center delivers services to youth and families from many racial, ethnic, cultural, social and life style groups. We value differences in people and strive to understand diverse cultures, ethnic origins, sexual orientations, abilities and beliefs. To this end, all staff are required to attend professional development trainings and to continually enhance their understanding of cultural diversity.
Staff are expected to respect and honor cultural and human diversity. The annual Performance Appraisal provides an opportunity for staff to evaluate how they are integrating culturally competent practices into their everyday work.
A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in human services, education or a related field; and five (5) years experience or an equivalent combination of education, employment and life experience. A Master’s degree is preferred.
In addition to the above, it is mandatory that candidates meet the following criteria prior to hire:
- Completion of State Central Registry Clearance form*
- Authorization for agency to complete criminal background check
- Authorization for the agency to obtain driving record information and approval by agency insurance carrier
- Completion of fingerprinting process and clearance via NYS Justice Center
- Regular access to a motor vehicle, and automobile insurance at the level of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident Bodily Injury and $50,000 Property Damage
- Access to a telephone
*Note: It is also mandatory that new employees be cleared by the NYS Central Register prior to unsupervised interaction with clients.
Candidates must be able to be autonomously mobile in order to provide the required services.
COMPUTER SKILLS RECOMMENDED
Program – Skill Level
Microsoft Office – Advanced
Internet Explorer – Advanced
The Center for Youth provides equal opportunities for employment.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $16.00 – $20.00 per hour