IMPORTANT: In the email subject line, please refer to job title
The Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for the planning, implementation, management and evaluation of the agency’s marketing and communications efforts as well as its non-governmental grants. Working closely with the Executive Director, this position is focused relationship building across diverse agency friends and donors, and is responsible for developing a diversified non-grant fund development portfolio for the agency. S/he serves as the liaison between the agency and young professionals Associate Board. S/he takes the lead responsibility in enhancing the staff and Board’s capacity to support fund development activities. The Director manages and oversees the updating of the agency’s core mailing and fund development databases. S/he develops an annual public relations plan to meet The Center’s program, public communication and fund development needs and is responsible for public relations and press/media management including social media, television and radio, and print media. The Director works closely with the Director of Finance in the development and management of an annual fund development and public relations/communications budget and with the Volunteer Coordinator in the recruitment, training and implementation of volunteers as related to marketing and special events. The Director ensures the coordination of agency fund development, marketing, and communications with administrative and program operations. S/he is a member of the agency’s senior management team. The Director works with and supports the Board’s role in communications and fund development. The Director is supervised by the Executive Director.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND EXAMPLE OF DUTIES (* Notes Essential Functions):
- Develops a public relations plan and is responsible for public relations and press/media management including social media, television and radio, and print media*
- Writes and manages matrix of corporate and foundation grants and grant reports*
- Researches and identifies new non-government grant funding opportunities*
- Maintains Center for Youth website*
- Acts as primary liaison to The Center’s Fund Development Committee *
- Assists in recruiting Associate Board members and supports group functions*
- Works collaboratively with the Executive Director and appropriate Board committees to develop annual Fund Development Plan for the agency, including targets and individual work plans for the Annual Campaign and special projects *
- Works collaboratively with the Director of Finance to develop an annual budget for fund development and communications activities *
- Manages, monitors and assesses annually the agency’s fund development efforts *
- Works collaboratively with Special Events team to provide support as needed*
- Plans and implements systems for the agency to recognize and thank supporters, donors and volunteers*
- Ensures the agency’s database supports fund development, particularly tracking and reporting donor activity and information*
- Supervises the gathering, analysis and storage of mailing list*
- Hires, trains, supervises and directs the work of a Fund Development Associate*
- Works collaboratively with the Executive Director and appropriate Board committees to annually plan, develop and facilitate Board development activities to enhance their capacity to support the agency’s fund development and public awareness efforts *
- Actively networks and participates in community and civic organizations, committees, coalitions, task forces, etc. that support the agency’s fund development and community awareness efforts *
- Make public presentations regarding The Center, its services and needs
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- Demonstrated understanding of not-for-profit organizations, fund development and grant related operations
- Knowledge and demonstrated competencies in fund development including market research, donor development and special events
- Knowledge and proven experience in developing institutional capacity for fund development: Board, staff and volunteer development, community networking, visibility and public relations planning and activities
- Demonstrated ability to produce in a fund development role
- Understanding of social media including, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Understanding of media needs and media relationships
- Proven project planning, implementation, management and evaluation skills
- Problem identification and corrective action skills and experiences
- Computer literate in word processing, spreadsheets and databases
- Demonstrated grantsmanship skills
- Excellent interpersonal, written and presentation skills
- Must have access to a vehicle and telephone and possess a valid driver’s license with a driving record acceptable to our insurance carrier. In addition, must have the following automobile insurance: $300,000 Combined Single Limit or $100,000/$300,000 Bodily Injury and $50,000 Property Damage.
The Center delivers programs and services to youth and families across Monroe County who represent many racial, cultural and geographic groups. The Center ensures understanding and values differences in people of diverse cultures, ethnic origins, sexual orientations, disabilities and beliefs. All staff are required to attend cultural competency workshops and trainings and to continually enhance their own understanding of cultural diversity. The Center Performance Appraisal, administered annually, provides an opportunity for staff to evaluate how they are integrating culturally competent practices into everyday work.
Candidates must be able to be autonomously mobile in planning and managing fund development activities and events and in providing on-site support to all of The Center’s locations.
Bachelor’s degree in related field. Masters level degree and/or specialized training/education related to fund/institutional development and marketing preferred. Requires a minimum of 5 years related experience. An equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered.
COMPUTER SKILLS RECOMMENDED:
Microsoft Word – Advanced
Microsoft Excel – Advanced
Microsoft Outlook – Advanced
Internet Explorer – Advanced
Rev. 07/2021 The Center for Youth provides equal opportunities for employment.